This week, a few members of the CDM Media team had the opportunity to attend the session, “Everything You Need to Know about Social Media,” which was presented by author and marketing executive, Charles Orlando, and covered Facebook, Twitter and blogging. The event gave us some new ideas for our social media strategy and provided a good overview of some basic marketing rules. Here are our takeaways:
- Customize your Twitter background for better branding and to let your readers know where else they can find you or your company.
- Use Twitter as a microblog to send out information and links to sites that are of interest to your audience, as opposed to letting them know what you’re doing.
- Create a custom landing page on your Web site for people who click on the link in your Twitter profile. Let them know how following your Twitter account will benefit them and what other social media sites they can find you on.
- Automate some tweets to save time, such as those about new blog posts, but spend time each day responding to direct messages, retweeting, having conversations with your followers, etc. However, do not auto follow or auto message new followers.
- Know and understand your audience, and use this information to produce quality posts that they are interested in.
- Engage your readers and ask them what they want to read more about.
- If someone leaves a comment, respond to it.
- Remember to use SEO words in your title and content.
General social media advice
- Be honest, engaging, and transparent, as well as continually active.
- Remember quality over quantity.
- Ask for feedback.
- Be consistent in your branding, tone and voice.
- Create a monthly editorial calendar, but make sure it’s flexible so that you can respond to recent events.
Did I miss anything? What social media advice do you follow?